Re: [linux-audio-user] solaris 9 and audio recomendations

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 02:56:58 EEST

kevin kelley wrote:

> I would like to run a sampler program and a good
> sound card on a sun sparc solaris 9 platfrom. Does
> anyone have any recomendations??

You're going to have some real problems here.

Firstly, Solaris does not support OSS or ALSA; it has its own
audio I/O architecure and few Linux audio programs are likely
to support it.

Secondly, SUN ships its own drivers for the hardware it supports.
You are unlikely to be able to get Solaris drivers for any third
party audio hardware.

However, if you were willing to run Linux on this machine and it
had PCI, then you would have drivers and OSS and ALSA.

Just my AUS $0.02.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
"Religion is a magic device for turning unanswerable questions into
unquestionable answers." -Art Gecko, Wombat Discord-1, 128649