Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 question: update

From: Yves Potin <yves_p@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 22:12:45 EEST

Le 06 Jul à 14:00, Dan Easley ecrivait:

> I've been under the impression it's cheaper to buy used UPS's and buy
> replacement batteries for them. Has anyone done this to good results?

        Take care of pentential electrical issues with such devices. The
last one I used permitted me to fry eggs on it after half an hour of usage
:), with a very particular and not very nice smell in the office. More
seriously, if I haven't unplugged it, I'm sure it would have caused a
fire. It was more than 5 years old.
        Also, the standard life duration of UPS batteries is three
years. They of course can be changed if you are sure of the device...
        On the other hand, the only UPSes which will normally work with
linux are serial ones, be careful with USB models. The standard software
for UPS monitoring, also for more than one computer across the
network, is nut : http://www.networkupstools.org/
        HTH,

Y.