Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] ALSA MIDI Humanizer v0.0.1

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 16:21:28 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Ah, one of my favorite threads. I compose a lot with MIDI, and
> sometimes I like to try making the results sound at least a little
> more human. A few (probably obvious) notes :
>
> No human player can play two notes in a row with exactly the same
> precision, it's simply not possible. Small-range random changes to
> velocity at least help shake up the flatness of MIDI parts. However,
> if the range of variation is too wide the randomizations sound pointless.
>
> No human players play with metronomic accuracy, nor is such a thing
> desirable from human players. However, the range of variation is a
> significant consideration. Set drummers often play the bass drum,
> snare, hi-hat, and cymbal in slightly different tempo relations,
> creating the various grooves and feels that underlie musical styles.
>
> A "groover" would be a cool piece of software, i.e., something that
> shapes the existing music into another rhythmic style, but I don't
> think it would be easy to get right.
>
> IMO the best way to humanize MIDI parts is to hand-code their
> velocities, note by note where necessary, which means the coder must
> have a practical knowledge of performance factors. I also routinely
> add a tempo track that loops an asymmetric group of fluctuating tempo
> values, like a very narrow-range LFO applied to tempo. Again, if the
> width of the range is too great the looseness becomes sloppy,
> destroying the intended effect. Usually I keep a range of +/-4 clicks,
> e.g. 120-121-122-121-120-119. If these values are applied to tempo
> events at the level of 16th-note triplets they'll have a nice
> "upsetting" effect on the rigidity of the sequencer's tempo.
>
> Dynamics and tempo relativities are profound aspects of any engaging
> performance, whether a player plans them in advance or they occur as
> an improvised response to the music (and possibly to the other players).
>
> Just some thoughts for further consideration.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Dave, have you seen this software I've just found?

http://www.midi-plugins.de/mplug/mplug-hum.html

This is quite close to what I want to achieve.

After I've read your comments, and those by Frank and Stephen, I believe
that the possibilty to choose different probability curves (linear,
gaussian, exponential, reverse exponential) is the next feature to add.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com