Re: [linux-audio-user] New ipod video

From: carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Sat Jul 08 2006 - 00:18:47 EEST

On Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 02:02:01PM -0700, st wrote:
> I can't get this thing to work with windows. I think it's because
> I can't get service pack 2 on my pirated copy. My Gentoo box gets usb errors when I connect it. I don't want to fiddle with
> it too much. I thought I might try one of the new desktop type
> distros. My workmate like ubuntu. It seems to handle the ipod
> well as installed.
> What are suggestions as to how to use my ipod with Linux? Which distro, and which applications?

my suggestion would be return the ipod, and get something that supports open standards rather than crippling DRM and trading features and flexibility for marketing. something like iAudio, which supports OGG, FLAC, full 'mass storage' support (even if you do get the ipod mounted eventually, all the files will be weird base64-esque names and have some proprietary db containing the tags), not to mention a better price-per-GB, more video formats, FM radio, record from FM or line in, no DRM, etc. if you want me to dig up more points on why you should return the ipod i coudl praobly find them. like pictures of their slave factory, or examples of how long youll be messing aroudn with udev, enabling kernel modules, and trying to compile and use broken 'sort of do some stuff with the ipod' apps...

> Thanks,

np (and i bought Apple products for a decade, so i have a right to complain how low theyve fallen ;)