Re: [linux-audio-user] solaris 9 and audio recomendations

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 08 2006 - 02:32:37 EEST

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 09:56:58AM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> kevin kelley wrote:
>
> > I would like to run a sampler program and a good
> > sound card on a sun sparc solaris 9 platfrom. Does
> > anyone have any recomendations??
>
> You're going to have some real problems here.
>
> Firstly, Solaris does not support OSS or ALSA; it has its own
> audio I/O architecure and few Linux audio programs are likely
> to support it.

Are you sure it doesn't support oss? I know that 4front will sell
drivers for Solaris.

Also, a number of gnome programs have been ported to work with SunAudio.

PortAudio works on Solaris as well, and that will help for some
programs.

I wonder if it would be feasible to get Jack to sit on the sun audio
libraries.

> Secondly, SUN ships its own drivers for the hardware it supports.
> You are unlikely to be able to get Solaris drivers for any third
> party audio hardware.

In the past people have ported some sound card drivers to Solaris,
although I am not aware of any of them really being pro quality
(http://www.tools.de/solaris/audio/ seems to be the largest effort).
Maybe OpenSolaris is encouraging more of that.

I had hopes of writing a driver on Solaris for a pro sound card I had at
work, but all my engineering samples were sent back to be replaced, and
I'm not getting to play with the replacement. I wouldn't have been able
to release the driver anyway though. But maybe it would have encouraged
me to try porting drivers from alsa.

Actually, does anyone know if it would be realistic to port ALSA to a
new platform, or is it too severly linux dependent?

However, I wonder what sort of latencies you will be able to get under
Solaris 9 or Solaris 10. I've always assumed that they wouldn't be very
good, but maybe someone else knows better than me.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd@email-addr-hidden