Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 question: update

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 18:01:12 EEST

On 7/17/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > On 7/11/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> The final pieces are coming together for the new iron here at Studio
> >> Dave. I have two last questions (well, for now) :
> >>
> >> Is this a good selection for the hard disk:
> >>
> >> Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3400633A 400 GB 7200 RPM 16MB cache
> >> EIDE Ultra ATA100, new with Seagate warranty, $166
> >

> > Being ATA100 it's not the fastest drive out there but 400GB is
> > certainly nice storage.
> >
> > QUESTION: Are you going with a single drive or will there be separate
> > system and audio drives?
>
> Ach, I must answer your question with another question: Assuming I want
> two drives, what special considerations should I make for them ? If one
> is for audio work alone, does that mean it merely needs formatted and
> I'll use it as recording space ? Sounds simple enough, but I've never
> set up a system like this one.

Yes. That's the idea. /dev/hdaX would hold Linux on multiple
partitions. (root swap boot, etc.) /dev/hdc would be one large
partition for nothing but the audio files and supporting stuff.
(Complete Ardour song directories, etc.)

Extra power from the power supply so don't skimp on that. Extra space
in the case if you go internal. 1394 adapter, if one isn't built in to
your motherboard, if you decide to go external. IF you buy a 1394
adapter then try for 1394b instead of 1394a.

> At this time I'm planning for only one drive, but I can consider
> purchasing a second disk.

I'm not sure it's necessary if you have enough RAM in your machine and
you don't do anything other than Ardour when doing Ardour, etc.
However, if you are recording with Ardour and running other apps at
the same time that are accessing the drive, then for brief periods you
will have apps seeking to different places on the drive and
potentially causing problems.

One thing might be to go with a single drive and buy the second if you
decide it will solve some problem you run into later.

> I'm still mulling over the distro possibilities. I may install a few
> before deciding on one.

Yeah, big choice. I'm cursing Gentoo this weekend as I try to make a
more than major upgrade to my home network of MythTV boxes. I've been
at that 2 days now...

> Btw, I've assembled the mobo (added CPU, RAM, and ominous Zalman fan)
> and installed it in the case. The Antec Sonata II looks great, it's just
> waiting on its hard drive now.

sounds exciting. Good luck!

- Mark