[linux-audio-user] Music

From: Steve D <groups@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 09:57:24 EEST

Hello all--

It feels good to finally get back to composing and recording a little.
I've been working on an old piece I never finished. The draft audio
files are here:

Blues in C 1
  OGG
  http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/audio/ogg/stephen-doonan_blues-in-c-1.ogg

  MP3
  http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/audio/mp3/stephen-doonan_blues-in-c-1.mp3

Usually I record the audio directly into Ardour or Audacity, but this
time I recorded the MIDI performance instead, into Rosegarden (I also like
Muse very much), then played back the slightly cleaned up MIDI file and
recorded the audio produced by the tone generator (a rack-mounted Roland
Fantom XR) that was being "played" by the MIDI file, which is here:

Blues in C 1, MIDI (standard MIDI file type 1)
http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/midi/stephen-doonan_blues-in-c-1_version-2.mid

A much older version of Blues in C 1, MIDI file:
http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/midi/stephen-doonan_blues-in-c-1_version-1.mid

My Blues in C 2, a more recent composition that I finished and recorded
before finishing Blues in C 1:
http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/audio/ogg/stephen-doonan_blues-in-c-2.ogg
http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/audio/mp3/stephen-doonan_blues-in-c-2.mp3

Both of these "blues in C major" were created with one original idea: to
take a standard, bare-bones, dirt-simple blues progression in C
(tonic/subdominant/dominant "1, 4, 5" song) and try to do something
"interesting" with it, but retaining the essential skeleton of the blues
in C major. In Blues in C 1, I aimed for putting in a different "passing
chord" for every beat of every bar, only briefly landing on C, F and G
at their mandatory times. For Blues in C 2, the more recent composition
but the first to be completed and recorded, the idea and intent remained
the same, but the technique I used was to have a bass line that shifted
all around the C, F and G which formed the piece's structure, and that
technique allowed for some interesting melodic composition.

Anyway, I hope everybody's doing well--

Steve Doonan
New Mexico US

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that
they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses
slowly, and one by one.  -Charles Mackay