Re: [linux-audio-user] Looking for a special sound

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 02:46:25 EEST

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 02:06:10 -0400
M P Smoak <smoak@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sunday 16 July 2006 13:51, Folderol wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to try to emulate a reed instrument rather like a clarinet
> > with a slightly damaged reed, so that the effect is that it
> > occasionally 'breaks' and gives a sort of squeak. Ideally this should
> > be more likely to happen at higher velocities.
> >

> I'm not a synth sound user except for soundfonts for my keyboard. So
> can't comment on how to program a squeak.

Sorry it's taken a long time to get back on this. I've been busy doing
other things - non music things :(

> I'll question and comment as a sax/flute player. What type player
> are you trying to emulate? When I "squeak" it's me, not the reed.
> And I think it is for most all players. I know players that can play
> horns that are total wrecks with reeds "fixed" with a cigarette lighter.
> If they squeak, they make it fit; maybe even use it again. A poor
> player will stop playing or totally miss the line for a few measures
> or longer. What players do you want to emulate?

That is actually a very hard question to answer. I would say it was an
experienced player who actually knows the strengths and weaknesses of
the instrument and is probably using then deliberately.

> Or maybe the better question is, what comes after the squeak (and
> before it)? A good teacher once told me, "there's no such thing as
> a bad note; hit any note, any time; if it sound wrong, go to one that
> sound better".

The squeak comes at the start of the note, or not at all. It seems to
be very pitch dependent, and will occur on just one note in a short run.

> If the squeak sounds natural, it's some overtone. If not, then it's
> what's played next that counts.
>
> Feel free to send me test squeeak ogg's; I know how they sound for
> real. Done lot's of um.
>
> Marv

Unfortunately I can't send and example. I am working from memory
hearing a folksy sort of piece a long time ago - on the radio I think.

--
Will J G