Re: [linux-audio-user] Noob at Music ( me ), Noob at Computers ( friend )

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 18:30:01 EEST

William Kinghorn wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I know about most of the packages ( dont know Frinika, hmmm or Om ).
>
> I was hoping for a tutorial teaching me a bit about music and also a
> bit about using some of the software to create what had been taught
> in the tutorial. I don't want to become a musician, but I want to
> learn enough for my friend to get started. You never know, after
> playing around with the software I might want to become a musician,
> and start studying more, but right now my main aim is to teach him so
> that he can continue on his own.

Here's some good videos on how to get going with jack and midi:
http://sysexxer.sourceforge.net/files/JackConnectivity.avi (jack)
http://sysexxer.sf.net/files/BasicMIDIconnectivity.avi (midi)

They should at least get you started playing around.

If you don't know much about music I'd recommend you just playing around
with rythms first (like Hydrogen), then start building basslines etc on
top of that. Keep in mind that music is (typically) divided into beats
and segments, most often 4/4, wich you can count along with: "1,2,3,4,
1,2,3,4, 1,2,3,4, ....etc". Play with Hydrogen and you'll see.

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.friwebteknologi.org