Re: [linux-audio-user] X events making noise through soundcard.

From: carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 22:07:40 EEST

On Thu Jul 27, 2006 at 02:03:57PM -0500, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> Thank you all for the suggestions. I will apply some of them, as for
> moving the card, it already is in the farthest PCI slot available. I
> will, however remove the analog cables, as they pass rather close to
> the graphics card, and they might be acting as "antennas" to pick up
> the EM emitted by it (not to mention the rather big HSF the GeForces
> nowadays include :)). I guess a quick and dirty test could be to only
> mute the CD-In and Aux controls and see if those stop these sounds...
> Will report back.

another thing (not sure it applies to SBLive or not, but it has to most onboard sound ive used),

is the 'external amplifier' button in the alsa mixer. on Windows this is just permanently enabled. toggling this generally switches between silence and hiss and interference noises. with it disabled, and Master on 100%, putting PCM at around 80% is enough to drive MDR-V6 at comfortable levels.

in otherwords bypass the crappy amp. better yet, bypas the crappy soundcard entirely :)