Re: [linux-audio-user] nVidia MCP51 HDA

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 20:20:07 EEST

On 7/29/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 7/29/06, Stephen Hassard <steve@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Does anyone know what the requirements are to get the high
> > > definition audio controller in an NVidia chipset working? lspci says
> > > this:
> > >
> > > 00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio
> > > (rev a2)
> >
> > You should just be able to use the snd-hda-intel module. Just like AC97,
> > it's an Intel standard that everyone else has adopted.
> >
> > later,
> > Steve
> >

> Steve,
> Thanks. I'll give it a try. However alsaconf did not discover it.
> Does that mean alsaconf needs a PCI ID update or something like that?
>
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Steve,
   OK, so it turns out that alsaconf doesn't find cards until the
driver is built for the card. Since I didn't know the NVidia device
used the Intel driver then alsaconf couldn't configure for it until I
rebuilt the kernel and included that device as a module. The Intel
driver installs and alsamixer now comes up fine.

   The machine is not near speakers so I cannot test sound yet, but
I'm curious about the controls I see in alsamixer. Comparing with
other on-board sound chips I do not see a Master volume control and I
do not see a PCM control. The only control that looks interesting is
'Front'. Is that the master volume for this type of sound chip?

   Again, thanks for the help. Seems it will likely work when I get
the build finished up and get it moved. Still have ndiswrapper &
wireless config to go.

Cheers,
Mark