[linux-audio-user] Re: XMMS and Firefox (or Flash?) not playing along nicely

From: Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 21:33:24 EEST

2006/8/4, Florin Andrei <florin@andrei.myip.org>:
> Somehow XMMS and Firefox (or rather Firefox media plugins) seem to
> compete over sound resources.
> What's the cause and how can I fix it?

The reason is that Flash and xmms both use old OSS for sound, which
allows only one app to access the soundcard at a time. Configure your
XMMS to use alsa and start firefox inside an aoss-environment with the
command "aoss firefox" instead of plain "firefox".

And bug the authors of every app that is still using OSS as default on linux...

Arnold

--
visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/
---