Re: [linux-audio-user] RME multiface gain, matrix and/or asoundrc and an array of confusion.

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 09:33:07 EEST

Saturday 12 August 2006 06:49, we are:
> hey there crew.
>
> just wondering if there is someone out there that could enlighten me
> to the ways of the RME multiface.
>
> i have been using it for a few months now. i thought that these
> question would arrive in time, alas, i am still confused.
>
> for starters, i have been using peter todd artical in linux journal.
> some of this is useful but other bits simply don't help at all.
> my main problem is the gain settings. i can't seem to have consistant
> gain for different applications. my input gain is really realy low for
> the line (analog) inputs and i can't seem to find a way to boost them.
> when i record in ardour, the waveform is really small and i end up
> having to normalize every clip/track to get a decent volume. this is
> the same issue with PD. when i try to boost the gain on using the
> command as written by peter todd i get errors.
>
> ie
> amixer -c 1 cset name=Chn,index=1 32768
>
> amixer: Cannot find the given element from control hw:1

I wonder how "... name=Chn ..." is supposed to work anyway. Well, it doesn't,
obviously, and that gets you minimum gain. If you're not constrained to the
console you could use hdspmixer (and hsdpconf, both in alsa-tools-gui) to do
all this. 10 minutes to read the multiface manual section on the mixer is a
good investment. Same behaviour be it Windows or Linux.