Re: [linux-audio-user] problem with LASH

From: Dubphil <dubphil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 14:02:21 EEST

Atte André Jensen a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I spend most of last night playing with LASH. I patched zyn, specimen
> and seq24 and also use lash_panel + patchage.
>
> However I have a problem. Often (almost precisely every other time)
> closing a session will make some
> programs (mostly zynaddsubfx) hang. They can't be killed with xkill or
> killall. If zyn is the hanging program it will still appear in
> qjackctl's midi connection. This will also take jack and lashd down,
> and this is output to the terminal where lashd was started:
>
> Project jesus_kristus removed
> LASH event: LASH_Quit
> Disconnected from Jack
> Disconnected from Alsa
> [JACK sync disabled]
> Writing [/home/atte/.seq24rc]
> JACK error: zombified - calling shutdown handler
> jack_mgr_shutdown_cb: JACK server shut us down; telling server to quit
> Cleaning up
> zombified - calling shutdown handler
> cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Connection reset by
> peer)
> cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Connection reset by
> peer)
> JACK error: cannot send request type 7 to server
> JACK error: cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken
> pipe)
> jack_mgr_destroy: could not deactivate jack client
> JACK error: cannot send request type 7 to server
> JACK error: cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken
> pipe)
> Finished
>
> So I figure it's a problem with lash in zynaddsubfx (if I only use
> specimen it seems to work very reliable). My questions are:
>
> 1) Is there a way to really kill a hanging zynaddsubfx, when killall and
> xkill won't work?
>
> 2) Does anyone have lash working reliable with seq24, sepcimen and
> zynaddsubfx? Which lash patches did you apply to which version, and did
> you have to do anything else? What distro? How do you start jack and
> lash? Which kernel?
>
> 3) I tried with both lash patched I could find
> (zyn-2.2.1-lash-jackmidi-060605.diff and zyn_lash-0.5.0pre0.diff) with
> ZynAddSubFX-2.2.1.tar.bz2. Is there something newer/better/different I
> should try?
>
> 4) Any ideas what could be wrong? Maybe it's something completely

Hello Atte,

I never try LASH yet, but something I can say is that Zynaddsubfx is not
enough reliable to do realtime work in combination with jack and other
softwares. Hydrogen is far better but not completely safe. Seq24,
Ecasound, Sooperlooper are rock solid.

This is strictly the result of my experience.

Regards

Philippe