Re: [linux-audio-user] so.... u wish to hear something completely horrible

From: Ryan Heise <ryan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 08:44:36 EEST

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 11:21:24AM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> So, if I have no morals or don't subscribe to the same set of standards
> that you do does it mean I am a lesser artist than someone who does?
>
> Lesser person maybe but what has it got to do with art?

You finally discovered my point.

That it is art, that it can be appreciated and enjoyed, was not in
question by me. It *is* art.

A literary work can also be written by mixing together pieces of other
literary works, and the result is still a literary work.

What I, and others, have tried to point out, however, is that even
though valid art can be produced in this way, it is just not nice to
take from others without asking first, because they ought to be
consulted in how their name is represented in association with that
work.

In other words, yes, my point is about being a better person, or a
better "citizen", not about questioning what is art, or what is
enjoyment. Art and enjoyment can exist in anything. For example,
hurting, or disrespecting other people can be done with enjoyment, and
it can even be done artistically. My point, however, is about respect
and the law, not art, so whatever you might say about what "is" or
"isn't" art has missed my point.

--
Ryan Heise
http://www.ryanheise.com/