[linux-audio-user] M-Audio Fast Track Pro setup

From: Mathias Friman <mathias.friman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 17 2006 - 23:37:54 EEST

Hi list!

I have borrowed a M-Audio FastTrack Pro from work and I try to get it to work under Ubuntu Linux 6.06 (Dapper).

Since I have a MidiSport at home, I have patched up my system with a firmware from http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net/
and that seem to work on the M-audio FastTrack Pro aswell.

The device is detected correctly as an USB-device, and all the appropriate modules are loaded;
 snd_usb_audio, snd_usb_lib, snd_seq_midi and so forth.

/dev/snd/* looks like:

controlC0
controlC1
midiC1D0
pcmC0D0c
pcmC0D0p
pcmC0D1c
pcmC0D2c
pcmC0D3c
pcmC0D4p
pcmC1D0p
pcmC1D1c
pcmC1D1p
seq
timer

That is to say I have one control, one MIDI, two playbacks and one capture for my M-Audio FT Pro.

I can play sound for the Phones-output jack through Audacity with PortAudio v19 using both (hw:1,0) and (hw:1,1)
but i cannot do:

aplay -D hw:1,0 test.wav or
aplay -D hw:1,1 test.wav

because it outputs:

Plays WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:901: Channels count not available

When I run 'alsamixer -c 1' it outputs:
No mixer elems found

and it also does not show anything in Jack (qjackctl).

My /proc/asound/devices:
<snip>
 40: [1- 0]: raw midi
 49: [1- 1]: digital audio playback
 57: [1- 1]: digital audio capture
 48: [1- 0]: digital audio playback
 32: [1- 0]: ctl
</snip>

It seems to me there should be some more inputs/outputs to choose from. I found a recent discussion
on some alsa development list that didn't look too promising: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/39666

I've also looked to alsa.opensource.org, to no avail.

Anyone got any tips regarding this device?

Regards,
Mathias