Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio Delta 1010LT - Alsa 1.0.11 - only Output on ch1 and 2

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 21:28:10 EEST

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 12:33 +0200, acker@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> i have a problem using my new M-Audio Delta 1010LT Card with Debian Sid -
> Kernel 2.6.17-2 and Alsa 1.0.11.
>
> When playing soundfiles with XMMS (using OSS or Alsa Output plugin) i only
> get sound on output 1 + 2. I installed the envy24control mixer and there
> the monitor tab shows only peaks on 1 + 2.
>
> When using the 2.6.16-2 kernel (i don't know the alsa version used here)
> and playing soundfiles with XMMS (OSS output plugin) - every output shows
> peaks and works.

I am sure there are other answers to your dilemma, but anyway, my take
is that the 1010 cards were really designed to be used with something
like JACK or a similar technology - i.e., there are multiple sound
sources, multiple destinations, and you're routing between them with
JACK or something like that.

I have the 1010 full version, I'm using Fedora Core 5. I simply
connected the studio monitors (the speakers) to the outputs #1 and 2 on
the 1010. Without JACK (e.g. when I'm watching a DVD, or listening to
music via XMMS), all applications just "do the right thing" and send the
signal to those outputs. But when I use the music equipment, I fire up
JACK and I use it to make the proper routings.

So, in my opinion, stereo apps sending output only to #1 and 2 (in the
absence of JACK) is normal. If you want more complex routing, just use
JACK.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/