Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio quality

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 03:55:57 EEST

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 08:44 +0400, Dmitry Baikov wrote:
> On 8/27/06, Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I don't think that's accurate. The highest quality hardware is on the
> > high-end workstations which are, at the core, digital synths.
>
> Possibly you are right. I always forget about this class of hardware.
> I meant samplers, FMs and virtual analogs.
> And even in this case I may easily be wrong :)

Well, it depends more on the actual device, than on the class it belongs
to. E.g., check out the Virus TI:

http://www.access-music.de/products.php4

It's a virtual analog, but it's connected to the computer via USB 2.0
and, when you install the software companion, the Virus essentially
becomes a sound card for your computer (you can use the analog inputs
and outputs just like you would use a Delta 66). I didn't test it
myself, but the reviews are very good.

I own an Alesis Ion, another virtual analog...

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=9

...and the quality of the analog input/output stages is excellent.
Same can be said about Nord Lead, Poly Evolver and all the other big
names in the virtual analog arena.
Derek Sherinian and his signature rig of 4 or 5 big red Nords went on
tour with Billy Idol, Malmsteen, etc. and it's not likely that musicians
at this level would use low-quality gear.

Samplers? My Alesis QS6.2 is the same: very low noise on the analog
outputs, very low distorsion.

Essentially, anything that's new technology from the big companies is
pretty good. The only exceptions, maybe, are the cheap Casio keyboards
and similar things.

Ironically, it's the old true analogs, vintage Moogs and stuff like that
which may exhibit high noise thresholds and "quirky" output stages.
Again, it's the new technology that shines - Alesis Andromeda, one of
the most recent true analogs, has excellent ins/outs.

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=10

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/