Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio 1010LT and Pulsar mic (and jackd and SuSE 10.0)

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 09:25:17 EEST

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 23:54 -0400, lanas wrote:

> I also got a pair of M-Audio speakers, the Studio
> Pro 3 kind and although I like them (makes a great change from what I'm
> used to so far i.e. a flurry of Creative speakers)

While the low-end M-Audio monitors are nothing exceptional or anything,
they are waaay better than crappy Creative computer speakers. Good
decision.

I've heard very good things about the EX series (people comparing them
with the low-end Adam and stuff like that!) but they are much more
expensive.

> Anyhow, I also got a M-Audio Pulsar mic for the accoustic guitars I
> have. Upon reading the booklet that comes along, I found out that it
> needs what's called a phantom 48v power supply. I presume the 1010LT
> does not deliver that, so it's basically useless to try to connect the
> mic directly to one of the mic input of the card, is it ? I have to
> get a 'box' that supplies this power supply. Are these boxes
> outputting through a XLR jack or will I use a RCA input of the 1010LT
> for the mic ?

You may be able to find an adapter that provides phantom power but it's
probably best to get a mic preamp. You seem to be an M-Audio fan ;-) so
look at M-Audio's, they're not too bad for the money and they do provide
phantom power:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=preamps

Myself, I'm using the Studio Projects VTB1 and it's OK:

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/vtb1.html

> And finally, now that I get good sound from the speaker (singular at
> the moment!) can I also get treeble/bass/EQ control of that sound ?
> Looks like envy24control does not have these settings.

A good studio monitor does not need treble/bass control. That's the
purpose of a monitor - to provide unalloyed translation of the electric
signal into sound. If you do find you need to apply spectrum
corrections, you actually need to get a better monitor, or fix your
room's acoustics, or most likely both.

If you can afford it, subscribe to Sound On Sound. They run monitor
reviews quite often and each issue carries an article about fixing the
acoustics of small amateur studios. Extremely informative!

http://www.soundonsound.com/

That being said, you can apply all kinds of filters via LADSPA. Install
JACK, install LADSPA, install all the LADSPA plugins you can find - some
of them are EQs, filters, etc. Install JACK-Rack, insert it into the
audio chain somewhere, load up a LADSPA EQ in JACK-Rack and that's it.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/