[linux-audio-user] Audacity crackles, KRecord is just fine (SuSE 10.0 x86_64)

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 23:02:26 EEST

Folks,

  While getting Fedora Core 5 to eventually try CCRMA, I'm trying to
record using a microphone and Audacity. Card is M-Audio 1010LT, mic is
M-Audio Pulsar that goes through a phantom power box and then to one of
the mic inputs of the card.

  When I record using Audacity, playing a recorder flute, the sound is
terrible, full of crackling sounds. I read some issues about that on
the Audacity web site, but all points to editing the preferences and
none of the Audacity menus I have (SuSE 10.0) shows any preferences !

  So after an hour or so of trying, I gave up and used anopther
recording software bundled with SuSE: KRecord. I guess this is a
simple as it gets. Works fine. The sound is without any crackle and
distortion.

  Anyone knows why Audacity can be so terrible at recording, and how to
use it so it gives nice sounds ?

Thanks !
Al