Re: [linux-audio-user] Plugging an electric instrument

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 09:22:49 EEST

On 9/4/06, Jordan <jordan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Here, we usually plug keyboards and guitars into a Direct Box.
>
> Now, this is for a live environment, and doesn't have to do with digital
> recording, but it converts the 1/4 to an XLR.

The one potential drawback in this case is what Al put as "there should be as
few as possible of components in the path so that the sound source goes
into digital as soon as possible". It sounds like the XLR inputs on
the 1010LT have preamplification, so you might end up with:

bass pickup -> preamp (1) -> DI box (2) -> 1010LT mic input (3)

i.e three preamps chained. The DI box will change the unbalanced line
from the instrument into a balanced line which is regarded as
desirable, but I'm not sure how much difference it will make in
practice here.

But if you find the output of the bass's preamp isn't very high, you
might have to go with something like this.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://dannyayers.com