[linux-audio-user] ZynAddSubFX sound lags

From: <juuso.alasuutari@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 12:51:35 EEST

I'm driving ZynAddSubFX from MusE with ALSA MIDI & JACK on a 1.7 GHz Pentium M
laptop and a 2.6.17.11 kernel with the realtime-lsm module. The sound lags
behind ever so slightly; I have to move the notes backward one 32T to be more
or less on the mark. And even then it sounds like there's a certain randomness
to when each note is played.

Is ZynAddSubFX such a monolith that this isn't avoidable without a more powerful
computer? Or should I try enabling the (supposedly broken) JACK_RT audio option
during compile? Anything else I could do?

If I've no hope of getting ZynAddSubFX to not lag, can someone recommend a good
additive synthesis alternative? Preferably something not modular; I want to
twist knobs to create sounds, not to build a new synth from scratch.

Thanks,
Juuso

This mail sent through L-secure: http://www.l-secure.net/