Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Lashd won't start.

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 23:28:16 EEST

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 11:46 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> On 9/4/06, Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 11:51 +0300, juuso.alasuutari@email-addr-hidden
> > wrote:

> > > I'm the other one suffering from this bug, although I don't get that
> > > conn_mgr_start message before the segfault. Also on my box lashd stays up
> > and
> > > quiet until I try to run any client.
> > >
> > > I have this in /etc/services:
> > > lash 14541/tcp # LASH client/server protocol
> > > That should be about right, no?
> >
> > Actually I think these are two different bugs.
> >
> > As far as the /etc/services thing, I think I'm going to drop that entry,
> > join the 21st century and use ZeroConf (via Avahi) to solve this problem
> > (which is exactly the problem zeroconf was meant to solve) - bonus
> > points for working over a network as well, which /etc/services doesn't.
> >
> > If anyone has any serious objections to Lash depending on Avahi, speak
> > now or forever hold your peace...
> >
> > -DR-
>
> avahi... zeroconf... sounds useful, maybe even for something else,
> like osc service discovery with liboscqs? :)

so you spotted the greater direction this is a part of :)

> More on topic, no objections from me. All modern systems come with it anyway.

that's what I figure. it's crucial for certain things (like lash and
anything OSC (which will include lash soon enough), and seems to be
installed on almost any remotely modern distro (or at least easily
installable), so I figure it's a win.

I'll do it regardless since it's so spiffy and show-offable and solves
everything so nicely, but hey - never hurts to ask :)

-DR-