Re: [linux-audio-user] sound recording application

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 07 2006 - 17:39:37 EEST

Hallo,
Stephen Cameron hat gesagt: // Stephen Cameron wrote:

> --- Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> [...]
> > He needs an audio application that will record for a specific amount
> > of time, say, for 4 hours, without user intervention. He needs to be
> > able to say, begin recording conference at 9:00 AM and stop at 4:00 PM
> > and walk away without ever thinking about it again. [...]
>
> I think ecasound can do what you want.
>
> Here's the man page:
> http://eca.cx/ecasound/Documentation/ecasound_manpage.html
>
> the -t option looks relevant.

Ecasound is the perfect tool for this. We have used it for several
years (six or so) to do several unattended recordings *a day* with
only a handful of broken recordings through all these years (which
weren't ecasound's fault generally, but more like: Someone stepped on
an important cable etc.)

Besides -t also the -z option is useful to switch on double buffering
and of course "-rt" should be used to have ecasound run at realtime
priority to further reduce the risk of dropouts.

You start ecasound through crond then. It's also a good idea to
somehow set the clock in advance. We just used netdate some minutes
before starting to record to synchronize the clock.

Ciao