[linux-audio-user] Song (i.e. project) managers ?

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 00:51:54 EEST

Folks,

  Now that I got some things running (jack, Zyn, Hydrogen and Ardour)
not int he best of ways, but still, I get fun from trying this and thus
doing little jams. I reckon that I have a lot more to learn and would
eventually like to use Studio64 (now using CCRMA) to take most benefit
from the machine.

  So now that I do some jams using accoustic guitar and software-based
sounds, I start to wonder if there are any song (i.e. project) managers
out there that could, say, launch all apps with the proper settings
according to a song ?

  Better yet. We have MIDI. This is quite a standard that everyone
seems to adhere to. We have Jack. Now, is there a standard means to IPC
between audio apps ? Such that a song manager could IPC (and
eventually launch apps that are not running) to the various apps used
for song, setting along the way the parameters for each app through
IPC ?

  Such a song manager could, using this standardized IPC, get a dump of
relevant settings from all apps contributing to a song project and save
that to disk to be recalled at a later time. Project templates could
also be made.

  So, are there any utilities like that out there ? Is it possible to
IPC to at least some of the audio apps out there ?

Cheers,
Al