Re: [linux-audio-user] Using USB MIDI boxes with another soundcard under JACK?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 12:43:41 EEST

Hallo,
Joseph Jones hat gesagt: // Joseph Jones wrote:

> So I have an M-Audio Black Box guitar system, which I love for giving
> somewhere to plug my instrument-level gear straight into my little
> Shuttle that I use for audio work.
>
> Unfortunately, the Black Box doesn't have a midi-in (other than a
> clock port), so what I'm wondering is whether it's at all possible to
> use a seperate device to handle midi. I know you basically can't do
> that with audio devices, but I thought midi might be a possibility.

That's no problem at all. Just get one of the cheap USB-midi adapters
supported (search http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ for "midi") and load
the "snd-usb-audio" module to activate it like you would activate a
USB-audio card.

You may want to use the option "index=NUM" when loading snd-usb-audio
to put your midi device at a certain position. E.g. "modprobe snd-usb-audio
index=1" will make your snd-usb-audio card be the second card in your
system. You can make this permanent by adding "option snd-usb-audio
index=1" somewhere in your modprobe-configuration,
(/etc/modprobe.d/sound or similar, depends on distribution)

If you have two usb-audio cards (I think the Black Box is usb-audio as
well?) you should take a look at the pid and vid options and use a
line like this:

options snd-usb-audio index=0,1 vid=0x0ccd,0x0763 pid=0x0028,0x0117

You get the vid and pid values from looking at the output of "lsusb"
for a long enough time.

Ciao