Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: flatwounds & JJ Cale

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 17:53:15 EEST

Jan Depner wrote:

>... I like most of Ry Cooder's stuff.

Wonderful musician. I worked for a few years at McCabe's in Los Angeles,
he was a legend there. The owner said Ry would skip school and hang out
there, pissing off older players by learning Skip James songs in a few days.

I saw him lead a trio in one of the weirdest concerts I've seen, opening
for Captain Beefheart. Did you know that Cooder played on Beefheart's
first LP ? It was a great show, Beefheart was memorable.

[re: Willis Alan]

> I can't find him on allofmp3.com so I'll have to look elsewhere.

One LP on Shelter, self-titled. Good luck.

[re: Radney Foster]

> I've heard some of it but I don't normally listen to "country".

Definitely in quotes for Radney. He's country like Buddy Holly was
country. He's a fine writer, and he's got a great band.

> The Fuzzy Dice is pretty much on hold. We play about twice a year.
>Katrina wiped out all of the places we were playing...

Jeez. That sucks.

> My other band, Charlie
>Foxtrot, is playing every weekend though. It's a classic rock band with
>pretty fair personnel. Henry Harrington was Mickey Gilley's lead
>guitarist for about 15 years (including Urban Cowboy - he's in about two
>seconds of the movie). Jerry O'Rourke was Freddy Fender's bass player
>during that same time frame. They met each other on the road in Japan
>of all places (they both live in Slidell). My drummer has been playing
>for about 40 years. Everybody sings so we have 3 and 4 part harmony.
>At the moment we're just a cover band. I've got some original stuff and
>so does Henry but we never get time to sit down and work it up.

You're a lucky guy. I don't have a lot of choice for players here, but I
might put something together again soon. All of a sudden the clubs here
are hiring, they've been adding patios and outdoor stages, so I'm
looking at maybe scoring a steady gig for a while. I prefer a house gig
now. :)

Best,

dp