Re: [linux-audio-user] autotune in ardour

From: Antonio <debian@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 12:32:42 EEST

Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:08:32 -0400
"Spencer Russell" <slothlove@email-addr-hidden> ha scritto:

> On 9/18/06, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Well (as I mentioned) I've never used any autotune, but was hoping
> > for a magical "make my singing in tune" plugin. I'm affraid too
> > much efford won't be worth it, since we're strictly talking demoing
> > a melody for real singer to record...
> >

> A while ago I was thinking of the best way to implement some sort of
> autotune-like program, and this is what I came up with:
>
> The user would import the sound file in question, and the program
> would display a spectrogram (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spectrogram_of_violin.png ) with
> horizontal lines superimposed that indicate the frequencies of the
> equal-tempered 12 half-step scale that most of us are used to. Then
> the user could easily add points to define an automation curve like in
> Ardour, and see in real time how it effects the spectrogram, to line
> up the fundemental frequency peaks with the right notes. Then they
> just export the pitch-corrected file.
>
> I'm not much of a programmer, but it seems like there are libraries to
> do most of the necessary functions, with probably the hardest thing
> being the real-time updating of the FFT display. Seems like it could
> be a useful little tool.

Baudline (http://www.baudline.com/) has a very good realtime spectrogram
visualiser. It also has the ability to see the "harmonics guidelines",
and a lot of very useful tools to accurately measure the fundamental
(among other things). It's really a great tool for frequency-domain
(but also time-domain) analysis. The only thing it lacks is the ability
to _edit_ the file in a visual manner. One kind of editing could be the
autotuning feature as you suggested. Another one would be the ability
to edit the spectrogram with brushes, like a photo-editing program.

If only some programmer would care to create a such tools would be very
very useful ;-).

Sorry if I went OT.

Cheer,

  ~ Antonio