Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Do I need a preamp for the SoundBlaster Live?

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 10:37:35 EEST

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 23:45 -0700, Iain Duncan wrote:

> Presonus is the notable exception to the above, and one of the only
> firewire cards with linux support. Check the reviews in Sound on Sound
> or other pro engineering mags. I would honestly say that if you want to
> go mic->pre->card for under a grand total, they are the way to go.

You mean the Firepod? I'd very much like to try it myself, I've heard
good things about it, coming from trustworthy sources, but I've no
first-hand experience with it.
If it's good, it's not too expensive, considering the features.

> Of course they are not going to stack up against external
> dedicated pres. In that case, I'd say the FMR really nice pre is the
> best bet, especially combined with the RNC and RNLA ( Really Nice
> Compressor and Really Nice Levelling Amplifier. )

True. The stuff at fmraudio.com has a high performance/price ratio. I
own their RNC and it's amazing how that little ugly box can sound like.

> But truthfully, I
> don't think a sub $500 mic needs a pre better than the ones on the
> presonus cards. They are way better than the similar offerings from
> M-Audio or Edirol.

Well, even with a cheap SM58 you may still hear a difference if you use
a really good analog input stage, but yeah, I know what you mean.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/