Re: [linux-audio-user] Intel HDA and Jack

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 21:24:01 EEST

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 07:19:44PM +0300, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a brand new Dell D820 here which has worked very well, except for
> jackd. But: I just found a way to get jackd running! (Thanks Paul)
>
> Use the -S switch for jackd's alsa driver to force the sound card to use
> 16 bits instead of 32 bits.
>
> For example:
> jackd -R -P80 -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p256 -n2 -S
>
> The "fix" is way far from optimal because of all the lost percision, but
> as I'm going to use my multiface anyway (as soon as I get the interface
> card) for serious work, I don't care.

I believe that option only affects the precision of input and output
to the card.

If your card is 16-bit anyway, you haven't lost anything; it's just that
for whatever reason, jackd was unable to automatically select 16 bit
(which is what happens when I (rarely) run against my SB 128)).

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com