Re: [linux-audio-user] Distros these days? What a mess!

From: <iainduncan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 22 2006 - 21:44:21 EEST

> I've been pretty disappointed at the state of the various linux distros
> recently, and ended up settling on Arch Linux after having gone through
> the most recent versions of Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Fedora, Debian, openSUSE,
> and MEPIS.

Ok, good to hear that I'm not just crazy. I mean, on Fedora, sound worked out of
the box. If you don't mind the cursor not being able to keep up with the
waveform that is. Worked in a totally unusable fashion for pro audio, and I've
compiled a lot of stuff from source and couldn't figure out how to fix it. I
probably could have done a Linux From Scratch several times now in the amount of
time I've spent auditioning "Desktop" distros.

> http://www.archlinux.org/
>
> It's a fairly lightweight distro, which behaves very *bsd like. If you
> use the i386 build (not the more recent x86-64 builds which don't have
> the same package support) a good amount of community packages already
> exist. The overall speed of the system is quite good and is definitely
> better than most that I've tried.
>
> I've found that pre-built binaries are missing for some of the key sound
> apps (like zynaddsubfx) but community supported 'pkg' makefiles exist
> and work well (available at the url below).

That sounds ok, as I can't think of any proaudio app I didn't end up
reconfiguring and recompiling anyway ...

Does it use a BSD style port system? I really liked gentoos emerge, but they've
gone and screwed up the underlying foundation in order to have a gui installer.

How does Arch compare with somthing like slackware?

Thanks
Iain