Re: [linux-audio-user] Solved: flash movie buffering problems

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 23 2006 - 11:40:53 EEST

tim hall wrote:
> On Friday 22 September 2006 15:03, Lee Revell was like:
>> I would call it "sheer idiocy" and yet another reason Flash is evil.
>
> Yeah, Flash is evil.
>
> Unfortunately most know-nothing computer users expect it to work out of the
> box. What open-source alternative is there that gives the same kind of
> scriptable interaction? The merciless MNG didn't turn out to be much of an
> adversary did it?

The paradigm that Flash represents is great but the way they license it
and continue to keep it private when it is very obviously a monopoly is
evil.

It's still the most effective way to get high quality animation or video
into a webpage and you know that 95% of the browsers in the world
support it. Compared to embedded mpg, wmv or rm...

Plus it's light weight.

SVG is the answer but the development is still far from being complete.
Give them time though. Firefox now has svg support without having to
patch and supposedly msie7 will too.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com