Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: ANN: bristol 0.9.5-60

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 28 2006 - 13:20:01 EEST

On Monday 25 September 2006 15:04, Lee Revell was like:
> On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 15:39 +0200, Malte Steiner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > no optimisation and yes, that is now noticable. Since the transparency
> > > layer is also going to be used for other features I will work on some
> > > changes.
> >
> > just a suggestion:
> > i didn't looked into the sources so what do you use for GUI painting?
> > How about using OpenGL? It should run hardware accellerated on recent
> > machines and comes with transparency, image rotation (read: knobs!),
> > colorization and sizing included.
>
> 3D hardware acceleration requires a proprietary driver on most machines.
> Please don't make it a requirement.

Two's up on that. My video card is one of the few that doesn't require
proprietary drivers, however its DRI has been broken in Debian testing for
the last few months and the fix has been a long time coming. It would have
been very annoying to not to have been able to join in the fun. Fortunately,
I am getting an idea of what Bristol can do, albeit with a few problems,
which I'll go into when I've had time to investigate properly. Now I'm really
looking forward to the possible development of a virtual Synthi size A.

:)

--
cheers,
tim hall