[linux-audio-user] Sound Works... Sometimes

From: Steven Cabrera <steve.cabrera@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 30 2006 - 05:22:20 EEST

Well after further review it looks like the .asoundrc file doesnąt have much
to do with it. Now it looks like the sound will work about every 4th or 5th
time I boot.

And also I looked at my /proc/asound/cards and it shows my delta 44 and the
Unitor 8 but what about my built in apple sound?

[steve@email-addr-hidden ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [M66 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 66
                      M Audio Delta 66 at 0x40, irq 54
 1 [AMT8 ]: USB-Audio - AMT8
                      Emagic AMT8 at usb-0001:02:0b.2-1.3.4.2, full speed

Can someone please help me with this??

Hi All,

I have a strange problem with the sound in my system. I have Fedora Core 5
on a Power Mac 2.3gHz with a Delta 44 sound card and a Unitor 8 midi
interface. I have spent much of the last month or so perusing the mailing
lists trying to find the answer to my problem. OK here it is. The sound
system works only after I boot once without a .asoundrc file and then boot
again with one. There is a thread that discusses something about detection
order. From what I can gather the Unitor 8 is being confused with a sound
card. Another thing I think I understand is that there is no set order in
which hardware is detected. What I don't understand is how to get the
actual sound card detected before the Unitor. I read that in order to do
this I should have something like "options snd-ice1712 index=0" in my
/etc/modprobe.conf file. Here are the contents of that file:

alias eth0 sungem
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_svw
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-ice1712 index=0
remove snd-ice1712 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ice1712
alias snd-card-1 snd-powermac
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-powermac index=1
remove snd-powermac { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 1 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-powermac

As you can see that line is in there. And being a Linux newbie I don't have
much of a clue about what the rest of the file does. Here is the contents
of my .asoundrc file:

pcm.ice1712 {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

        ctl.ice1712 {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

I would appreciate any and all help that comes my way.

I'll even sing at your next wedding if you can help me get this working
correctly :-)

Thanks,

Steve