Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Aqualung 0.9beta6 released

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 09 2006 - 13:49:52 EEST

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 21:43, Lee Revell was like:
> Just a thought - maybe Google or Ubuntu or another distro would be
> willing to fund you.
>
> I think it reflects very badly on the Linux desktop that the default
> media player is either XMMS (unmaintained for years) or whatever garbage
> Gnome and KDE are pushing this month.  A top notch media player that
> distros could standardize on would be a big step forward.

Not wanting to put Aqualung down, in fact I think it's high time *someone*
submitted an RFP to Debian for it. I have just had a look at GQmpeg, which
seems good for mp3 and ogg so far. It has a dreadful name and needs some
better skins, but it is the most obvious direct replacement for XMMS. If
Aqualung can raise the standards for Linux media players and we can persuade
*someone* to make a Debian package, I will push for debian-multimedia to
adopt it. The idea of a stable release is appealing. :)

--
cheers,
tim hall