Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: cd ripping in linux

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 13:06:20 EEST

Hallo,
Peter Plessas hat gesagt: // Peter Plessas wrote:

> i am wondering how to add cddb support to cdparanoia, so i could rip my
> cds on an X-less computer.

jack.sf.net, which I mentioned in my other mail, works without X, and
it sooo easy to use, it's amazing. It comes with decent defaults (at
least on Debian), however I have a ~/.jack3rc which overwrites soem
settings:

encoder:flac
vbr_quality:6

You could also use "encoder:ogg" or "encoder:mp3" instead. Ogg is
default on Debian.

Using jack then is as simple as inserting a CD and typing:

$ jack

It will fire up an ncurses-frontend to show the progress and will
encode into a new directory using generic filenames like
"track_01.ogg". You can interrupt this process anytime and go on with
another "$ jack" later.

You query FreeDB afterwards with:

$ jack -q

This will rename all files to a configurable format like
artist-title.ogg and will also rename the directory containing the
files to the CD title.

It's all very well thought out, dead easy to use and very reliable. Of
course it's also configurable in any way, if needed. It's just one of
those programs, that gets things done fast and simple.

Ciao