Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting IRQ on intel8x0-card

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 21:51:42 EEST

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 20:41 +0200, Mathias Friman wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 10:17 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > > But at this point, the interrupt lines from onboard and external PCI
> > > devices are already merged, so changing the IRQ would just move
> > > both devices.
> > >
> > > When an onboard device and a PCI card conflict, you have to move the
> > > card to another slot (or, better, to fix the driver(s)).
> >
> > just as a followup, ryan on #ardour pointed out the kernel boot argument
> > "acpi_irq_balance" which results in *much* better distribution of IRQs
> > among devices on my laptop. i still have the builtin soundcrap, plus the
> > yenta and HDSP driver on the same IRQ, but i used to have the ethernet
> > and two other devices there as well. others who tried it reported
> > improvements as well.
> >

> I tried with acpi_irq_balance and acpi_irq_pci=3,4,5,6,9,10,11,12,13,14
> but that didn't change a thing. I still have my soundcard on the same
> IRQ as my eth0, IRQ 11. It is also noteworthy that in the kernel
> Documentation-directory there is a file "kernel-parameters.txt" which
> lists all, surprise, kernel parameters that can be passed to the kernel
> at boot-time. According to that list, it is possible to set IRQ on most,
> if not all, OSS-drivers. It is also possible to set IO-addr and DMA, but
> seemingly not in ALSA. Is it just a driver design issue or are the
> systems in themselves that different?

This is not a software but a hardware issue. Those OSS driver
parameters don't actually set the hardware IRQ, IO address and DMA
channel - they are for old non-PnP hardware where the driver cannot
probe the hardware configuration.

The IRQ sharing between your ethernet and sound card is almost certainly
hard wired.

Lee