Re: [linux-audio-user] [Music] a samba

From: Steve D <groups@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 12:08:47 EEST

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:52:20AM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 01:56:00AM -0600, Steve D wrote:
>
> > http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/audio/ogg/stephen-doonan_samba-1.ogg
>
> Interesting. I usualy record each single track at the highest volume
> below clipping. Often I end up with headroom and I then normalize in
> sweep. Besides allowing more voices when working with Om/Ingen, this
> also makes for more fexibility working with it later, remixing, sharing

The piano, if not run through a compressor, can go from almost silent on
a single note or two to digital distortion with a full chord with bass
notes so quickly and easily that I usually am fairly conservative with
the sound card volume settings. The Delta 1010 is so silent that it has
not worried me much (normalizing later). :-)

> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/
>
> Also in my toolbox. Nice to see you using my prefered license :)

I hope that Creative Commons licenses become very standard, widespread
and well-used.

> The piano is great. The percussion is not stiff, which is good, but it
> lacks the drive I associate with Samba. I think it's not tight enough.
> The bongo(?) is a bit loud.

I was so tired by the time I recorded the piano that I actually played
the piano the sloppiest. :-) The percussion is loose--like you say,
probably *too* loose, but I just wanted it not to sound too mechanical,
because after all, it's just my fingers playing a piano keyboard with a
percussion kit making the sounds. The bongo is a little loud. I was
influenced by a recording I just got of Ahmad Jamal (piano, with
drummer, bass player and guitarist). The guitarist I believe played the
bongos on some of the pieces and I really liked it, so of course I
overdid it. :-)

It's a work in progress. Thank you very much Thorsten for your comments.
I'll try to whip the percussion track into shape (and be more awake for
the piano part after a good night's sleep--it's 3:00 a.m. where I live
in New Mexico US).

-sd

Forget and forgive. This is not difficult when properly
understood.  It means forget inconvenient duties, then forgive
yourself for forgetting. By rigid practice and stern
determination, it comes easy.  -Mark Twain