Re: [linux-audio-user] Dave's Prelude

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 14 2006 - 14:10:57 EEST

Gavin Stevens wrote:

>I must've downloaded Dave Phillips' Prelude a while ago & then not listened to it.
>
>Finally corrected that oversight & greatly enjoyed it - nice harmonies.
>In fact, a piece with a quiet, almost veiled beauty. I wonder if it
>would work on an acoustic piano (although it sounds nice with the bell piano)?
>
>Thanks Dave - I look forward to more.

Thanks for listening to my music, Gavin, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

That piece was written specifically for an electric piano sound on my
Yamaha TX802, it wasn't really made with a regular piano sound in mind.
No reason not to try it though. :)

I had some fun recently by playing the piece with three different sound
sources: the original TX sound, the ZynAddSubFX patch, and Native
Instrument's FM7 (using WINE and Robert Reif's ASIO driver). I liked
them all, but I must say that my TX802 is in mortal danger. ZynAddSubFX
is such a fine synthesizer, it really does a fantastic job with that
clear FM bell piano sound. NI's FM7 also sounds beautiful, but probably
the "least beautiful" of the three sources (it is a wonderful synth though).

I've written a couple of other pieces using the same sound, I'll post
them asap. I've also recently composed five trios for flute, harp, and
guitar, but alas, I'm running out of space at linux-sound.org. Any
recommendations for a free hosting site ? Some of the pieces are rather
long (8+ minutes), so I'll need some room.

As always, my work is under a Creative Commons license. MIDI files are
available on request.

Best,

dp