Re: [linux-audio-user] Does anybody actually perform with ZynAddSubFX?

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 00:21:30 EEST

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:52:08 +0000
Carlo Capocasa <capocasa@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to set up ZynAddSubFX to perform professionally and
> while in theory all is a bed of roses I just can't get the darn thing to
> be at least REASONABLY stable enough so I would actually even allow
> myself to THINK about going near a stage. No way with this pile of junk.

I've not had much by way of stability problems I could positively lay
at Zyn's door.

> Don't get me wrong it sounds great, but under real time circumstances
> the thing just breaks down. I just can't count the amount of time I
> spend re-opening patches.

Zyn doesn't seem to like repeated re-loads of patches/instrunents or
parameters. My workaround is set up a complete parameter file per song,
then launch Zyn by running the file (need option -l). I then kill Zyn
when I have finished with that parameter setup (wash, rinse, repeat).

Zyn seems to take up more processor time for every instrument loaded
(up to the maximum of 16) so I make sure that saved parameter files only
contain the ones I want.

> So frustration expression past, has anybody done what I want to do,
> being using Zyn under real time circumstances? And actual real LIFE
> circumstances?

I don't do any live work as such, but have made a chain of recordings
one after the other without a single problem, and on an elderly Mdk
10.1 install. I work almost exclusively from Rosegarden.

--
Will J G