[linux-audio-user] E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

From: Drucer Ninetynine <drucer99@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 13:42:29 EEST

Hello list!

What would you say about the future of Linux audio
workstations? What software will we run next year?

It has been thrilling to watch how Linux audio
software has matured, but I have always felt I'm not
completely happy with any of the current X.org Window
Managers.

Somehow I've built an image that E17 might be what
I've been looking for. I don't know why, but it feels
like it could be perfect choice for Linux audio
workstation. Future will tell if my instincts are
right or wrong.

Something to think about:

- E17 does not make any 'beeps' so it does not have
any sound server (like KDE has its Arts sound server).
I see this as a very positive thing. This means there
will not be any sound server to conflict with Jack.

- E17 supports dual / triple displays out of the box.
It was designed to be able to use multiple displays
easily so I bet it can handle them better than other
solutions.

- E17 has some of the fastest graphics libraries on
this planet and it should be easy to customize. E17
scales very well. You can make it as minimalistic as
you want (making it possible to use it on old
hardware) or you can have all the eyecandy you could
ever imagine.

- E17 libraries are world class. You can write a fully
functional DVD player with 18 lines of C code. It
should be easy for developers to create E17
applications rapidly. Will we see Linux audio software
that uses E17's libraries in the future? Hope so.

--
E17 has pre-alpha status now, so I don't think we will
have to wait very long now until it's finally
released.
Could we get a nice Christmas present this year?
Perhaps.
Some links if you don't know what E17 is:
http://www.enlightenment.org
http://www.get-e.org/
http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Main/Screenshots/
TerraSoft's comments (these guys created YellowDog
Linux for PS3 that has E17 as the default WM):
"We have worked closely with the energetic, determined
E17 team to bring this advanced graphical user
interface to a state of interface euphoria. It's not
about eye candy and unnecessary special effects, it's
about finding balance between a lean, uncluttered
desktop and a personal environment that is both
familiar and powerful. E17 is simply the most
incredible thing I have ever used --with any operating system"