Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 23:40:37 EEST

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 13:31 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > no, no. i am talking about being in a file browser, not in a document
> > editor. lets say i find foo.txt or bar.png or baz.pdf and i want to
> > print it. what do i do?
> >
> > because in a command line environment i don't have to start up an
> > editor, i just type "lpr foo.txt". it seems to me that this *must* be
> > possible from the GUI equivalent, but in GNOME at least i cannot find
> > it.
> >

> Do you mean something like the Windows 'Run' command? I don't think
> Gnome has that, or I've never seen it. Of course Gnome does have a
> terminal to instead of running the command it's open the terminal and
> run the command. Not a big deal really.
>
> I'm sure there is a finer point here?

actually, no. i am not talking about a "Run command" style interface. i
am simply amazed that whenever i go to show my wife or kids a document
that they should print but that needs no editing (e.g. my wife's resume,
a picture one of them took, etc etc), neither i nor they can find anyway
to do so without going into a heavyweight app and then doing the usual
File->Print method.

coming from a command line background, it seems ridiculous that the file
managers/browsers have all omitted to leverage the power of lpr and its
filter system.