Re: [linux-audio-user] [Music] The deluge continues

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 27 2006 - 16:35:44 EEST

David wrote:

>[snip]
>

>Any chance to hear this tune performed (yeah, this would be a
>performance) on the intended acoustic instruments ? I'm sure you know
>someone eager and able to put a few mics on spot and catch a brillant
>interpretation of this unique piece.
>
>This is rather complex music but it deserves to be played by humans,
>don't you think ?

If the ranges are do-able it might be a playable piece. When I concern
myself with playability I usually get out my trusty
instrumentation/orchestration guide to determine what I can get away
with. Alas, I paid no such attention while composing this piece. I'd
also have to get my butt in gear to score it, and that might take a
while (the score might look pretty cool though ;).

Btw, in case anyone is interested, the music is based on free
manipulation of a 12-tone row. Obviously I've not shied away from tonal
references. The manipulation is sometimes very free, oscillating between
using the row as a pitch collection and as an interval series. The row
was treated sometimes linearly and sometimes vertically, i.e. sometimes
for counterpoint and sometimes for harmonic resources.

I've written a lot of other chromatic music, I'll post some later.

And as always, thank you for taking the time to listen to my music.

Best,

dp