Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 00:49:51 EEST

On 10/27/06, Drucer Ninetynine <drucer99@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> --- Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > For kicks I built E17. It runs on my AMD64 machine
> > and looks fairly
> > nice but many of the basic windowing operations seem
> > sort of slow
> > compared to Gnome.
>
> Did you check the configuration tool? Check it out -
> you can set the value of frames per second. I do not
> remember what the default value was, but I could set
> it up to 200 frames per second with my 2.8GHz P4
> system with Matrox Parhelia P650 graphics adapter. It
> was faster than anything else I've tried with this
> computer (and I've been running XFCE mostly).

I didn't find any configuration tools, or they weren't obvious when I
looked around with my mouse. None the less I'm not really talking
about anything esoteric. It's just that I'll try moving a terminal
around or flipping firefox in back and in front of something else and
it seems sluggish.

No big deal as there was a deal breaker I ran into immediately. When I
run MythTV in a window under Gnome I can move it around on my screen.
When I run it in a window in E17 I can move the control part of the
GUI but when the video starts playing it's stuck in the upper left
corner of the screen. That's not true on Gnome or KDE. However fvwm
and E17 all fail the same way. fluxbox, interestingly, doesn't give me
window decorations and incorrectly starts the video in the upper left
even when the GUI is located elsewhere, but at least fluxbox allows
the playing video to be moved where E17 and fvwm do not.

> Anyway, maybe you compiled it with wrong options or
> something. It should not be slower than Gnome under
> any circuimstances. I suggest you wait until it's
> officially released and then test it and see if you
> like it.

Yeah, most likely it's something I did or something they are not aware
of. Looks to me like they have a lot of work to do to come up to full
usability though.

I've removed it from my system as it doesn;t look of value ot me right now.

Cheers,
Mark