Re: [linux-audio-user] OT [was:flash 9 beta] YouTube on Democracy Player

From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 13:18:25 EEST

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Robert Persson wrote:
>

> Ok, installed democracy player, works great. However I searched
> youtube for Charlie Parker, and the clips I found won't play in DP. Is
> there something I should do, is it a bug or isn't this supposed to
> work in the first place?

Ah. In that case it is probably my ignorance that has prevented me
finding anything decent on youtube. I would never have said it was
useless if I knew you could unearth clips of Charlie Parker. Maybe it
was another service I was getting it mixed up with because I remember
going somewhere a couple of months ago and finding nothing but puerile
dross. I went there just now and was instantly able to end my 21 year
quest to see Bill Nelson's "Do you dream in colour?" again, albeit very
fuzzily.

Democracy Player is simply another way to distribute video over the
internet without the poor quality and other technical limitations you
get with google, youtube etc.

To watch youtube video in a different player you first need to download
the clip. What does this for me is the online tool at
http://wish.kuso.cc/youtube/, but there are also firefox extensions that
are supposed to work.

Then you need to play the clip. I'm using mplayer because the build I
have of it decompresses faster than the others. You may want to convert
the clip to something else if you don't have a very powerful machine and
you can stand the long wait. The script at
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/22/2121258 made a rather poor
job of this, but at least it means it can be done.