Re: [linux-audio-user] Music: ComboCandombe - QuedaTe(Remix)

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 13:08:10 EET

Thanks for comments, especially on the mix-part!

Florian Schmidt wrote:
>> I dislike the snare-roll break early on, as it feels alien and
>> overly long to me.
>
> I have to disgree. It is nice Tension :) Something out of the ordinary and
> nicely executed. But we see it's a matter of opinion. :)

It's a break from an early Sly Stone record, before the Family Stone.
It's got this weird song with just drums and organ, that's where I got
this intro and the break on the rap-part from.

>> The bass ... not sure it's that, but it seems to be over-compressed.
>
> The whole recording sounds a bit "closed". I don't know a better word for it.
> As if the real deep bass and the sizzling highs are missing. On the other
> hand it is a very compact mix. Imho just a bit too compact.

The original idea was to make it sound like the early Sugarhill records.
If you listen to these none have any significant deep bass, it's more
like clean sounding slap-bass all the way. Also, many modern recordings
are careful with deep bass, since they know that the bass usually will
be overly cranked up when it gets played in clubs or radio.

On the high-end part I think this is because I deceided not to use any
reverb. This was inspired by a friend of mine, who's deeply into digital
audio, claimed that an office-PC simply doesn't cut it when it comes to
producing reverb. Well, as an experiment I deceided to use echo all the
way instead of reverb. Might sound a bit dry, yes. If you listen to the
original version of the song it's much brighter in the high-end, while
mine sounds more Cypress Hill'ish and maybe not so much Sugarhill.

>> Otherwise I think the remix feels quite smooth and natural.
>
> Great song.

Thanks!

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org