Re: [linux-audio-user] Digital DJ control

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 19:00:20 EET

Loki Davison wrote:

> On 10/28/06, greg <gkjoyce@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I haven't done any of this myself, but here are the best strategies I've
>> read about.
>>
>> 1. get a sound card with enough outs to run your pc into a regular dj
>> mixer and mix like a regular dj. You would still need some sort of
>> control surface for transport / effects twiddling.
>>
>> 2. if you want to do scratchy stuff, there's the Ms. Pinky vinyl, and I
>> think the Stanton Final Scratch works on the same principle. I don't
>> know, but they might both be vinyl with SMPTE timecode on them.
>>

> This is the deal. Go for this. All you need for the cue/pitch is 2
> midi sliders with enough range and 2 trigger buttons. The evolution
> gear is nice for this, and you have a keyboard as well! ;) I'd
> probably go for something like the trigger finger and a decent mixer
> Ecler, rodec, A&H etc.

One thing I miss on all these is a decent way to 'push' the track a
little, to correct sync when the pitch is (almost) ok and the track is
running. I find this a very nescessary feature. Pitch bend buttons can
be a solution, but are imho not as good as a nice big wheel. Like the
hercules has, but that thing really is a toy. Or at least it feels like
a toy: very light and fragile. I don't know about the behringer, but I
own a BCR and a BCF (the rotary & fader versions of the BCD) and their
construction is way better than the Hercules.

Something like the Numark NuVJ looks very nice, except for the extra
video software that makes the thing more expensive.
http://www.numark.com/products/product_view.php?v=overview&n=165

The following looks nice too:
http://eks.fi/index.php?page=xp10

And this too:
http://www.pcdj.com/products/hardware/dac3.asp

For digital DJ'ing I'd go for the NuVJ... this layout could really be it
for me. but I haven't touched one yet, so I don't know about the quality.

Pieter