Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi Woes

From: Chip VanDan <chip.vandan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 00:38:28 EET

> Using a gameport-MIDI interface with a gameport on the motherboard
> should work automatically if the MIDI port is enabled in the BIOS setup
> and if ACPI is enabled. Without ACPI, you have to specify port address
> and interrupt manually, as in:
>
> modprobe snd-mpu401 port=0x330 irq=10
>
> (however, look up the actual values in the BIOS setup)

I went to the BIOS and found the actual values, however I don't
understand what I am looking at exactly. There is only one serial
port on my computer, but in the BIOS there were two different
addresses listed, A and B. One was listed at 3F8H/IRQ4 and the other
was at 2F8H/IRQ3. I don't understand hex, so I'm not sure what to do
with those numbers.

>- IIUC you need to enable serial port support in the kernel or as a
module for the old cables.

Any pointers as to where to look for this information? What I seemed
to find on the topic was either sparse or more technical than I can
wrap my head around right now.