Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Music] Sea call (Julien Lociuro)

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 10 2006 - 18:50:26 EET

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 09:43:05AM -0500, julien bodd wrote:

> The problem is, Thorsten, that I don't understand most of what you said.

Ouch :)

> >The sound is best split into 3 parts: stick, snares, body.
> >Stick is a short burst for the sound the stick hitting the
> >makes. It's optional. Snares can be made from noise, but
> >it tends to be too smooth and static on its own.
> >Ringmodulated Saws can be used for a more metallic sound.
> >The body is for the low end, somewhat similar to a bassdrum
> >and can be made from sines.
>
> Could you explain the above more simply?

I got carried away a bit. It's only relevant if you want
to synthesize your own drumsounds and thinking about it,
I don't advice you to do that. Better just switch to another
hydrogen kit and concentrate on composition.

Now I'm sure you can find a nice introduction into (modular)
synthesis online. Got my own mainly from Keys/Keyboards magazines
years ago, that's why I have no links at hand ... except
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

> >A clipped envelope with a short plateau before decay might
> >help with the punch.

Envelopes are used to control sounds over time. The most
simple envelope has 2 steps, attack and decay, which can be
used to fade a sound in and out. Now if you hold the maximum
after attack for a short while, the sound can appear to have
more power. If overdone, the sound will appear less crisp,
a bit flat.

--
Thorsten Wilms