Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: The famous "Jack Hum" (Can't record and desparate)

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 04:22:48 EET

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 03:01:48AM +0100, Karsten Wiese wrote:

> > > That is absolutely fascinating. I WILL investigate this; if it
> > > coincides, we have a VERY strong case that this is the same problem.
> >
> > Really sounds like you have a singing capacitor. IOW your problem is
> > cheap hardware. If this is the case, you won't be able to fix it.
> >
> Guess Lee is right.
> Does noise vanish when laptop is running on battery?

Oooh yeah, I didn't notice you guys were talking about a laptop.
Try unplugging the power supply.
I found with all three laptops I've had (all Dells) that
the power supply makes a lot of really horrible noise
that leaks into all my audio gear. Only solution I've found is
to use a 3-prong-to-2-prong power adapter and leave the grounding
tab unconnected to anything. Dunno how safe that is :-\

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com